Thursday, June 10, 2010

My attempt at a vacation (not really)

Part of the reason I decided to break the chains that bound me at my last big gig was that I had no back up. There was no marketing department or person that could really cover for me. I tried taking a vacation only twice there in 8 years and nothing bad happened but it took an act of nature for me to be brave enough to plan it and let go. That being said, the only week I had ever spent with my husband present and unplugged was our honeymoon. Im surprised I even got that far with him in the relationship with the way I hardly looked up from my blackberry.
Now that I make my own schedule and only really rely on myself, I feel more free to make plans. I'm still sort of uncomfortable leaving 8 or so clients at home and trying to deal with their business in one coffee shop trip a day on the road, but this is my new life and I have to try and live it the way I've set out to, even if it's baby steps. I'm far harder on myself than anyone else is of course.
What am I doing on the road you ask? Well, Since I feel like I represent other people, I'm often quiet about certain topics in my life. I'm always quiet about politics and religion but that's another post.
I guess I am feeling more confident lately and feel like most people in my life know who I am at this point.

One of my hobbies is paranormal research. I grew up in old haunted places, I have had several personal experiences with loved ones who passed on and I am just very interested in gathering scientific evidence on the subject.
I'm not looking for anything personal to happen in fact, it scares me more than anything. I really need this experience to stay scientific.
So, lately I have been attending some hunts and gatherings in San Antonio, and so this week, I am joining a big group for an investigation of the Stanley Hotel in Estes Pak, CO. over 3 days. I'm excited and maybe a bit intimidated. We are camping with our dogs all the way up to Estes Park and then after our stay there, we head to Kansas City to see my hulahoop dance teacher and friend Laura sing in an incredible performance art show in Kansas City called Quixotic. (Yes, I said hulahoop dance teacher, again -that's another post)
I also pick my newly retired mom up there and bring her down to Austin with me for a few weeks.
I hope to also take her to West Texas and Willie's 4th of July picnic.
This concludes my travel related post.
One of these days I may actually post about marketing, but right now I am too busy doing it and I just want to talk about how I am trying to navigate my new life outside of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home