Wednesday, July 07, 2010

This is dedicated to the one I love

With a heavy heart yet hope for the future, I reflect on the day before my best girl's double mastectomy a la breast cancer. It's going to be at least 3 months or so before the road clears for her and life begins to go back to normal, whatever that is.
Nothing is normal after a battle with cancer but there is depth, knowledge and power to be gained I believe.
I can't get her off my mind and it's hard to know what to say or how to comfort the day before someone faces such a big surgery. She is a young beautiful strong woman and mother. Luckily, She has SO many people that love her who will be there taking care of her and her surroundings. That is what life is all about I think when you get down to it.
This is the 4th time breast cancer has had an impact on my life. My maternal grandmother lost a breast and lived for many years after. My mother got cyst after cyst right after my father died at age 36 and I thought for sure I'd end up an orphan before they magically stopped coming.
My Aunt SueEllen (my mother's young sister) did not survive hers and I took care of her throughout her battle in 2001, learning for the first time, what I am capable of when it comes to the nitty gritty of caretaking and how I process/comfort the suffering of a loved one.
4 years ago, they found what looked like a large cancerous tumor in my own left breast, and only saw that it was benign when they got it out. Now, it's my girl Nanette, and it's a whole new situation. They all are. They can take any and every form. Nanette has had to make very hard decisions based on un-concrete variables to save her own life.
She will be having reconstruction and chemo in the coming months. She's really brave and I'm learning a lot from her. I'm hoping to witness and help with as much as I can so I can be ready for the next friend or family member or me.

This cancer is just sweeping through. I'm feeling mighty fragile about the human condition and not exactly able to focus on trivial day to day.
To follow Nanette's journey, follow her blog. http://http://glittereveryday.blogspot.com
Join her team for the Race for the Cure in Austin: The Glitter Dropz http://bit.ly/aOsohF
Please send love peace and ease to my unicorn Nanette. Thank you. Ps. She loves flowers and vegan food :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beth,
Thanks for posting your thoughts. I feel the same way. Although I've been lucky, my family and most of my friends until Nan have largely been unaffected by breast cancer. A good friend, told me her mother had breast cancer a while back. She was rightfully worried. I comforted her the best I could. Her mother IS back to "normal" like you wrote.

I'm writing this because, like you, I have to believe it's the same scenario for Nan. This is temporary. It's painful. But I know you're right. She IS a strong woman. She WILL get past this.

That said, I'm having trouble working too. Where can I send more vegan treats? And When is the appropriate time to deliver them?

Will be sending positive energy Nan's way as I have since I met her.

Namaste ~G

8:54 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks Greg. Your response is so lovely and appreciated.
I'm going to email you Nan's meal info contact now and you can always call and text me. I know enough things she likes too. Much Love.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Sweet Leaf Tea said...

Girl,
cancer just sucks. It comes in, wreaks absolute havoc on our lives, and tries to destroy everything in it's wake. I hate it.

That being said, we are all lucky enough to have known and loved such badass fighters like Uni-Nan and our collective positive energy will help bring about change. It's gotta.

Love to both of you ladies, let us know at SLT if we can help!

-April

9:20 AM  
Blogger Wesley Faulkner said...

I really hate cancer. I don't think I know a soul that has not been affected by it, in one way or another. I feel for Nan and her family and my thoughts and prayers will be with them.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So well put, love.She has a fine friend, indeed.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home